Sunday, January 25, 2015

Always an Aunt?


I love being an Aunt.  I'm so happy for my siblings and sibling-in -laws, that they are blessed to be able to raise, beautiful, amazing, intelligent children. W is so great with our nieces and nephews.  He is an amazing uncle, he put's together their toys when given the chance, he plays with them, and he is patient with them.  I wish more than anything that I will have the chance to experience parenthood with this man.  

While on our TTC break I learned about a very unique donor.  I was immediately drawn to her profile. She has cycled a total of four times, all four cycles have resulted in pregnancies.  Her cycles yield an unbelievable number of high quality embryos (40+).  It was a plus she and I have a lot of similarities, such as ancestry, and physical attributes.  When I learned about this donor I immediately secured her for a cycle in March.  

Since March is just around the corner I sent a few emails to the donor coordinator to get an idea of the timing for the upcoming cycle.  Since I was not getting a response I called and left her a voice mail to call me back.  That evening, Thursday January 22, 2015 at 6:19 pm the phone rang. Anxiously I answered, and shortly into the call she told me the donor "got a little sick" her last cycle so she will not be donating for a while and may not donate again in the future.  I cannot believe it.  I am emotionally invested in this donor. She's perfect, I know we would have found success using her eggs.

I wish I could articulate the steps one takes emotionally to get to a point to move forward with donor eggs, the loss, the acceptance, and then finding the right match.  And now I have to start over. I have 
cried and cried about this recent set-back.  I hope to find a new donor that I feel as confident with,
as I did the last donor.

This makes me question everything.  Why can we not catch a break?  Is this a bad joke God is playing on us? Is there a God?  Are we not supposed to have children?  

Will I always be an Aunt and not a mother?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mindy! I'm so sorry for your setback. I too got very attached to a donor prior to our existing donor. It was hard moving on from that. But in the end, it was actually for the best. I hope that is the case in your situation too! But I know that doesn't make it any easier right now. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending big hugs Mindy. I'm sorry you've had another setback but I'm sure now that you've decided on using an egg donor it won't be long until you find another match that makes you feel just as excited xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I love hearing from you!!